Thursday, February 25, 2010

Five Minutes on the Soapbox

Okay this will be my five minutes on the soapbox. Here we go...

Tuesday I went to my local favorite flea and antique market. I won't mention the name. I love walking in the door and the gentleman who helps you carry the big stuff ALWAYS greets you with a smile and offers to help should you need it. The staff is just as nice. It was going well, I found two small painted prints for a collection that I'm working on. Feeling pretty awesome about my finds I happened upon a silver serving tray with a faux wood inlay. Cool! It was marked $15. Not too bad...I picked it up and looked it over closely. Then I flipped it over to the bottom and there I saw the grease pencil price from Goodwill!!!!! I was....hmm, should I say bad words right now? No, I'll remain calm. Anyway the price on the bottom was $4.25! $4.25!!!!! This booth owner wanted an additional $10.75 for something that she/he got at the Goodwill store located approximately five miles down the road.

Now I know that times are hard and every now and then we pay way more for something than its actually worth. However, an increase such as this was not right. Not everyone at the flea and antique market price their treasures this way. You can find some really good deals.

Okay, I'm done now and I left the market empty handed.

2 comments:

Lia at Petite Little Bee said...

These are amazing. I love the nest. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Lia

Terri Smith said...

Hi Rene. I completely relate to the over-pricing of items that can be found elsewhere for less. You are certainly a savy, intuitive shopper. Those in the practice of over-pricing sure hate to see us coming! Ha ha

I just signed on to be one of your Followers today.

Blessings, joy and sunshine, Terri